Here are a few tips that may help:
- Upgrade to Windows 10 especially if you are still using XP.
- Ensure you have an up to date anti-malware programme installed. Programmes such s F-Secure will work in the background to prevent attacks such as this.
- Back-up your files to an external hard drive. Ensure that this hard drive is disconnected from your PC/laptop when not backing up, as ransomware can move between drives.
- If you discover you have ransomware, do not plug the external hard drive into the computer until the problem has been resolved.
- Ensure the Windows updates are installed when they are released. Your computer should do this automatically.
- Never click on any links that you don’t recognize.